board games

Today I met up with some friends and we played board games for almost the entire day. I know today's weather should have been used for some outdoor activities but schedules.

I love board games and I have grown up playing them. You might know that I'm not a video gamer (and I suck at video games a whole lot) but board games or card games are a whole different story.


At my parents' house, I have a board game collection that takes up several shelves. Germany is a country of board games after all and let's face it, when I was younger, we didn't have the means for fancy new things like video games. Not that those were very developed back then (packman on a floppy disc, anyone?) And I am almost proud to say that my family's never owned any gaming consoles.

So I played board games growing up, with family and friends. And that never got old. I got together for 'game night' with friends in university still and obviously even now.

Frankly, in Japan I didn't really have anyone to play board games with until now. My host-mother has a few simple games and sometimes when we gathered at her place we'd play with some other people but usually most of the time is spent talking.

So today was great and I got (re-) introduced to some pretty cool games.

 

1. Scout (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/291453/scout) [Card Game]
Getting into this one took a few moments but once you get the hang of it, it's really fun! Don't be scared of the numbers, you don't have to do any math. It takes some strategic thinking, though. It's a bit like poker but also mahjong or games like that. Would definitely recommend this! It's really fun!

2. Coup (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/131357/coup) [Card Game]
This game is not for you if you suck at lying (like me) lol But it's good for acting skills and again, some strategic thinking. It's also pretty reminiscent of the "Jinro Game" (Werewolf Game) so fairly easy to grasp rule wise but it takes a lot of thinking when actually in the game.

3. King of Tokyo (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/293141/king-tokyo-dark-edition) [Board]
This game required a bit of set up but once we got going it was actually really fun and easy to do despite all the things that need to be considered. It also did not take all that much time (and we were 4 players). Contrary to the other games we only played 1 round of this. I think a second round would have allowed me to do better as it took a bit to get the hang of the game but ah well. Next time :)

4. Dobble / Spot it (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/63268/spot-it) [Card Game]
This game is almost purely a reaction game. You have to memorize pictures quickly. It's a bit like Halli Galli if you know that one (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2944/halli-galli) just minus the math lol which meant that I was pretty damn decent at it.

5. Sabobatage (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/342636/sabobatage) [Card Game]
The art of this game is super cute! Also it made me want to get bubble tea really badly lol Maybe when I head out tomorrow. I think this would be a great party game. Would totally recommend it! It's super fun, super simple and yet not boring. You still have to think a bit and then it all depends on your luck.


With the exception of the King of Tokyo game, all of these were very small, card games. So they don't take up a lot of storage space. Ideal for living in Japan.

Do you play board games/card games?

Do you have any recommended ones?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knowledge is power (aka Wissen ist Macht)

quo vadis - where will the road lead you

Okay, I give in, here's a blog - Kira Life Update